Radiation Dosimetry Monograph
The Radiation Epidemiology Branch (REB) and its collaborators have published a monograph entitled "Applications of Dosimetry in Radiation Epidemiology" published as a special supplement to Radiation Research in July 2006 (Volume 166, Number 1). It presents a variety of radiation dosimetry methods that have been applied to epidemiological studies that have been conducted by, or in association with, REB investigators. The editors of the monograph received a NIH Group Merit Award in 2007 “for the first broad-based description of applications of radiation dosimetry to epidemiological studies, an invaluable international resource."
The monograph features dosimetry methods for studies of populations exposed to medical irradiation, reconstruction of doses from radioactive fallout from nuclear testing, dosimetry for studies of other environmental and occupational radiation exposures, radon measurements, A-bomb dosimetry, biodosimetry, and statistical methods to evaluate and account for uncertainty in dose estimates. All citations are included below.
- Brill AB, Stabin M, Bouville A, Ron E. Normal Organ Radiation Dosimetry and Associated Uncertainties in Nuclear Medicine, with Emphasis on Iodine-131. Radiat Res 2006;166(1 Pt 2):128-40.
- Stovall M, Weathers R, Kasper C, Smith SA, Travis L, Ron E, Kleinerman R. Dose Reconstruction for Therapeutic and Diagnostic Radiation Exposures: Use in Epidemiological Studies. Radiat Res 2006;166(1 Pt 2):141-57.
- Bouville A, Chumak VV, Inskip PD, Kryuchkov V, Luckyanov N. The Chornobyl Accident: Estimation of Radiation Doses Received by the Baltic and Ukrainian Cleanup Workers. Radiat Res 2006;166(1 Pt 2):158-67.
- Gilbert ES, Thierry-Chef I, Cardis E, Fix JJ, Marshall M. External Dose Estimation for Nuclear Worker Studies. Radiat Res 2006;166(1 Pt 2):168-73.
- Simon SL, Weinstock RM, Doody MM, Neton J, Wenzl T, Stewart P, Mohan AK, Yoder RC, Hauptmann M, Freedman DM, Cardarelli J, Feng HA, Bouville A, Linet M. Estimating Historical Radiation Doses to a Cohort of U.S. Radiologic Technologists. Radiat Res 2006;166(1 Pt 2):174-92.
- Puskin JS, James AC. Radon Exposure Assessment and Dosimetry Applied to Epidemiology and Risk Estimation. Radiat Res 2006;166(1 Pt 2):193-208.
- Beck HL, Anspaugh LR, Bouville A, Simon SL. Review of Methods of Dose Estimation for Epidemiological Studies of the Radiological Impact of Nevada Test Site and Global Fallout. Radiat Res 2006;166(1 Pt 2):209-18.
- Cullings HM, Fujita S, Funamoto S, Grant EJ, Kerr GD, Preston DL. Dose Estimation for Atomic Bomb Survivor Studies: Its Evolution and Present Status. Radiat Res 2006;166(1 Pt 2):219-54.
- Degteva MO, Vorobiova MI, Tolstykh EI, Shagina NB, Shishkina EA, Anspaugh LR, Napier BA, Bougrov NG, Shved VA, Tokareva EE. Development of an Improved Dose Reconstruction System for the Techa River Population Affected by the Operation of the Mayak Production Association. Radiat Res 2006;166(1 Pt 2):255-70.
- Likhtarev I, Bouville A, Kovgan L, Luckyanov N, Voillequé P, Chepurny M. Questionnaire- and Measurement-Based Individual Thyroid Doses in Ukraine Resulting from the Chornobyl Nuclear Reactor Accident. Radiat Res 2006;166(1 Pt 2):271-86.
Uncertainty in Dosimetry