Senior Data Analyst (Contractor), Connect
The National Cancer Institute’s (NCI) Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics (DCEG) has launched a new prospective cohort, Connect for Cancer Prevention Study, that will recruit 200,000 adults in the United States. The study was designed to further investigate the etiology of cancer and its outcomes by capitalizing on research innovations to advance the field of cancer epidemiology and prevention. Study participants will provide serial responses to questionnaires, donations of biospecimen, access to electronic medical records, and other sources of data for decades. The resulting data will be hosted by the NCI and made available to the scientific community following protocols to ensure the data is FAIR and protects study participants’ privacy.
DCEG is seeking a senior data analyst for the Connect data analytics team. The successful candidate for this position will assume data management and curation responsibilities for Connect. The candidate will work in a highly collaborative, cross functional development team on various project activities communicating actively and frequently with other team members as needed. Since this is a human subjects’ study, the analyst will need to remain cognizant of regulatory compliance with patient protections and pay strict attention to where data are and where data go.
- Implement or oversee implementation of data manipulation, cohort selection, variable derivation, statistical analyses of epidemiologic data, and production of results (tables, figures and reports) for presentation or publication, including validation and review of others’ programs all per literate programming practices.
- Provide supervision, training, and guidance to junior team members.
- Provide evaluation of data quality, including monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of data errors.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in epidemiology, biostatistics, statistics, data science, a related field, or equivalent practical experience (approximately five additional years of experience).
- Five years of experience with large scale multi-source data collection and analysis. Analytical engagements outside class work while at school can be included.
- Proficiency with R, R Studio, and R Studio Connect.
- Proficiency with SQL or use of SQL in analytic software such as R or SAS.
- Proficiency managing and manipulating data (e.g., data coding and cleaning) from longitudinal studies, electronic medical records, and/ or insurance claims.
- Ability to communicate effectively across various audiences.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with others on cross-team projects.
- Excellent problem-framing, problem-solving, organizational skills, attention to detail, initiative, and multi-tasking.
- Ph.D. in epidemiology, biostatistics, statistics, data science, or a related field
- Experience with a cloud environment such as Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services.
- Degree or work experience in cancer biomedical research.
- Experience working with human subjects’ data.
Pay is commensurate with qualifications. This is a contract position, arranged through a government contractor, located at a government agency in Rockville, Maryland.
Interested candidates should email a CV, a list of relevant software applications and degrees of competency, three professional references, and a cover letter to Dr. Nicole Gerlanc. Please include "Senior Data Analyst (Contractor) position" in the email's subject line.