Technical Writer (Contractor), DCEG Office of the Director - Rockville, Maryland
The Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics (DCEG) of the National Cancer Institute is recruiting a technical writer to serve in the Office of the Director. This individual will be responsible for providing support for Division narrative reporting, scientific staff recruitment and searches, Freedom of Information Act requests, and other scientific operations-related tasks. In this position, the incumbent will perform a wide range of project management, technical writing, and advisory functions in support of the Division.
The technical writer will be responsible for:
- Developing a system for tracking award nominations for DCEG staff, maintaining the tracking system, and writing award nominations in collaboration with nominators, other investigators, and the DCEG Office of the Director.
- Managing and preparing necessary annual and ad-hoc narrative reports for the Division, including ad hoc writing and editing.
- Serving as Executive Secretary for technical evaluation panels for contracts and assisting DCEG investigators to draft statements of work.
- Supporting DCEG Office of the Director staff with faculty recruitment, including scheduling, attending meetings, tracking, writing minutes, and assisting with other necessary tasks. In addition, the candidate will assist in performing searches to determine a potential list of candidates with a focus on diversity for the recruitment of tenure-track investigators, tenured investigators, or other positions.
- Supporting DCEG Office of the Director staff in the planning, preparation for, and review of written materials for Branch and investigator quadrennial site visits.
- Assisting DCEG Office of the Director staff in the coordination and written preparation of responses to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Providing support for other scientific operations-related activities, such as supporting the DCEG Associate Director for Scientific Operations to track workspace for the Division.
The duties of this critical position will integrate with and complement other research operations and planning tasks on the scientific operations team. Come join our team!
Qualifications: Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree; a master’s degree is preferred. Experience in government preferred, with general knowledge of technical writing and editing. Candidates must have strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to coordinate and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy. Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary. Candidates must be able to respond to time-sensitive requests independently, work well under pressure, and work with large amounts of fragmented data in a fast-paced environment.
Organization Description: NCI DCEG is the world’s most comprehensive cancer epidemiology research group. The Division carries out its research program to discover the genetic and environmental determinants of cancer and new approaches to cancer prevention with a cadre of in-house researchers and trainees. The scientific operations team within the DCEG Office of the Director aims to provide outstanding support and guidance on scientific, programmatic, and administrative processes and manage Division-wide resources to promote the success of DCEG staff and projects. NCI is an exciting place to work, and the position provides excellent learning opportunities. Pay is commensurate with qualifications. This is a contract position at a government agency in Rockville, Maryland.
How to Apply: Interested individuals should e-mail cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to: Hannah Yang, (please include “Technical Writer” in the email subject line). Applications will be considered as they are received. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.