Directions & Local Map
DCEG’s offices at the NCI are located at 9609 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, Maryland.
Metrorail service is available from Washington's Reagan National Airport and from Union Station (railway). To get to NCI Shady Grove, take the Washington, DC Metro Red line to the Shady Grove stop (terminal station). Shuttle buses depart from the Shady Grove Metro station beginning at 6:00 a.m. and 6:15 a.m. respectively. During peak commuting times from 6:00 – 9:30 a.m. and 3:00 – 7:00 p.m., service runs more frequently. During non-peak times, from 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., shuttles run every 30 minutes. The last shuttle leaves for the Metro at 6:45 p.m.
The NCI Shady Grove Metro shuttle picks up passengers on the west side of the Metro. To reach it:
1. Take the exit on your left when exiting the metro station – at the top of the escalator.
2. The shuttle stops on your right side as you walk up the stairs.
3. Look for the signs saying “NCI shuttle stops here” written in red letters on a white background.
Alternatively: you may choose to take Metro Red line to the Medical Center stop at the NIH main campus, then take the NIH Express Shuttle from the main lobby of Building 31 to NCI Shady Grove. Shuttle service runs every thirty minutes nonstop from 7:15 a.m. – 6:45 p.m.
From the Shady Grove Metro, exit the station to the left, and the taxi stand will be visible.
Various Montgomery County Ride-On bus routes service NCI Shady Grove. These buses all have bike racks. Additionally, the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) offers commuter bus routes to the Shady Grove Metro.
Select a route number below for a complete timetable and a map of each Ride-On bus route:
- Route 43 – From Traville Transit Center and Shady Grove Metro. Drops off/Picks up in front of NCI Shady Grove on Medical Center Dr.
- Route 56 – From Rockville Metro and Lakeville Center. Drops off/Picks up at the intersection of Medical Way and Shady Grove Rd., approximately 200 yards away from NCI Shady Grove.
- Route 66 – From Traville Transit Center and Shady Grove Metro. Drops off/Picks up in front of NCI Shady Grove on Medical Center Dr.
- Route 74 – From Germantown Transit Center and Shady Grove Metro. Drops off/Picks up on Key West Ave., approximately 100 yards from NCI Shady Grove entrance.
Arriving from the south of Rockville using Route 270, take exit 8 toward Shady Grove Road. Keep left on the exit ramp, and at the end of the ramp, turn left at the light onto Shady Grove Road heading west. Get into the right lane, and turn right onto Key West Avenue (MD 28 W). Turn left at the next light onto Medical Center Drive. From there, turn right onto Blackwell Road and turn right again into the NCI employee parking garage. Visitors can have their parking ticket validated at the guard station inside the main lobby.
Arriving from the north of Rockville using Route 270, take exit 8 and keep right to take the Omega Drive ramp. The ramp will bring you to a stop sign. Turn left, and continue on Omega Drive, which turns into Medical Center Drive. From Medical Center Drive, turn right onto Blackwell Road and turn right again into the NCI employee parking garage. Visitors can have their parking ticket validated at the guard station inside the main lobby.
Upon Arrival at NCI Shady Grove
Upon arrival at the NCI Shady Grove building you will need to call your NCI host to be signed in and escorted upstairs. You will also need a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license. You also have to put your bags through a scanner and walk through a scanner yourself, just as in an airport.
To return to the Shady Grove Metro stop, take the shuttle labeled "Shady Grove Metro" from the same place in front of the building where you were dropped off.