Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Working Group (UGCWG)
Esophageal and gastric cancers together cause over 1,000,000 deaths each year. Because these upper gastrointestinal (UGI) cancers have very poor prognoses, discovering etiologic agents and improving methods of early detection for these cancers are of prime importance.
The overriding goal of the DCEG UGI Cancer Working Group is to foster the exchange of ideas and expertise on UGI cancers among investigators from DCEG, NCI, and the extramural community. Additionally, this exchange of ideas and expertise will enhance use of our existing research resources and more thoughtful conceptualization and execution of future research. This working group also serves as a magnet for the recruitment and training of junior investigators interested in UGI cancer research.
- Promote the exchange of ideas and expertise on UGI cancers within DCEG and among other NCI and extramural researchers in the field
- Discuss research priorities in UGI cancer research
- Organize, coordinate, and optimize the use of UGI cancer research resources in DCEG
- Identify and explore unique opportunities afforded by DCEG resources (e.g., large sample sizes for UGI cancers to study rare exposures and gene-environment interactions)
- Recruit outstanding junior investigators and fellows to conduct research in UGI cancer
For more information, contact Christian C. Abnet, Ph.D., M.P.H.