15th Annual Fellows’ Training Symposium: Summary of Day Two
, by Elise Tookmanian, Ph.D.
On Friday May 12th, DCEG fellows gathered virtually for day two of the Annual Training Symposium. Over fifty fellows participated in career roundtable sessions on various topics, listed below.
- Academia - Doratha Armen Byrd, Ph.D.,* Assistant Member, Department of Cancer Epidemiology, Moffitt Cancer Center, and Ronald Eldrige Jr., Ph.D., M.P.H.,* Research Assistant Professor, Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing
- Careers Abroad: Should I Stay or Should I Go? - Diana Withrow, Ph.D.,* Medical Statistician/Epidemiology, University of Oxford, and Yei Eun Shin, Ph.D.,* Assistant Professor, Seoul National University
- Contracting Companies/Industry - Kalpit Shah, Ph.D.,* Principal Biomarker Scientist, Genentech, and Zeinab Farhat, Ph.D.,* Senior Manager, Global Evidence & Outcomes
- Developing Strong Collaborations - Cari Kitahara, Ph.D., Senior Investigator, Radiation Epidemiology Branch, and Mustapha Abubakar, M.D., Ph.D., Earl Stadtman Tenure Track Investigator, Integrative Tumor Epidemiology Branch (ITEB)
- Health Disparities in Your Research Portfolio - Meredith Shiels, Ph.D., M.H.S., Senior Investigator, Infections and Immunoepidemiology Branch, Jonine Figueroa, Ph.D., M.P.H., Senior Investigator, ITEB, and Barry I. Graubard, Ph.D., Senior Investigator, Biostatistics Branch (BB)
- Next Steps for Postbacs: Medical, Graduate, or Non-graduate School Careers - Toniya Brown, B.A., Postbaccalaureate Fellow, Trans-Divisional Research Program and Britney Hardy, Ph.D., Director of HiSTEP 1.0, Office of Intramural Training and Education, National Institutes of Health
- NIH Intramural/Life as an NIH PI - Li C. Cheung, Ph.D., Earl Stadtman Tenure Track Investigator, BB, and Erikka Loftfield, Ph.D., M.P.H., Earl Stadtman Tenure Track Investigator, Metabolic Epidemiology Branch
- NIH Extramural - Curt DellaValle, Ph.D., M.P.H.,* Program Director, Environmental Epidemiology Branch, Epidemiology and Genomics Research Program, NCI, and Ana Best, Ph.D.,* Mathematical Statistician, Biostatistics Branch, Biometric Research Program, NCI
- Passion Into Profit: Entrepreneurship - Sheena Smith, Ph.D., Head of Program Management, Vector BioPharma
- Transitioning Out of Your Fellowship: Next Steps - Jackie Lavigne, Ph.D., M.P.H., Training Director
The 2023 DCEG Fellows' Symposium Planning Committee was comprised of Jacob Edelson, M.S., Patricia Erickson, M.P.H, Fangya Mao, Ph.D., Kyra J. W. Mendez, Ph.D., M.P.H., B.S.N., Erica S. Stephens, B.A., and Rohit Thakur, Ph.D., and supported by Dominiqua M. Griffin, Ph.D., N.C.C., Jackie Lavigne, Ph.D., M.P.H., and Cara Murray from the Office of Education.
* = DCEG alumni